When Fresh Air Calls, Head Outside!
Jun 13, 2023
As the temperatures rise in central North Carolina, residents throw open their doors to make their way to sun-filled fun! Living in an area that is stacked with outdoor activities, adventures are never in short supply. For homeowners in the Cotton Farms community, many are located just around the corner. Whether seeking a low-key, relaxing day or preparing for an epic adrenalin booster, this Fuquay-Varina neighborhood is lucky to be local to endless options.
Do You Have a Need for Speed?
- Zipquest sends guests to extreme heights at its Fayetteville location, North Carolina’s premiere zipline adventure park. Spreading across 55 natural acres that are home to the beautiful Carver’s Falls, participants fly from treetop to treetop while enjoying unbelievable views.
- For those who prefer ground-level action, a visit to Black Ops Paintball is perfect, but prepare to stay on your toes! With 300 acres dedicated to paintball and airsoft battles, there is plenty of room for groups of all sizes. This original Black Ops Paintball location opened in 2012 with one small park and has been growing ever since. Today, playing arenas are available for all levels of play.
- Cape Fear River Adventures’ whitewater kayaking tour guides are ready to lead guests full-speed on a trek that will leave participants soaked. This ten-mile trip includes several miles of relaxing flat water leading into a challenging span of rapids (peaking at Class III). Please note: This tour is not for beginners; participants must have prior paddling experience.
Would You Rather Take it Slow?
- Cozy Heron Glamping is the ultimate combination of fresh air and relaxation. Guests spend nights in wooden Conestoga Wagons after enjoying a twilight beverage around a community fire pit. Days can be spent with a book, admiring gorgeous views along the Cape Fear River, or enjoying a slice from the Lost Paddle Pizza restaurant. For a low-key experience, grab a tube and take a lazy float down the river!
- Raven Rock State Park is the perfect place to saddle up and let a horse handle the hard work of exploration. Afterward, settle down for a picnic or a quick afternoon nap. Raven Rock’s camping cabins offer the perfect environment for those seeking total relaxation.
- The Carroll Howard Johnson Environmental Education Park offers 20 acres where education meets the environment. With a short, two-mile trail, walkers can uncover the natural treasures of Fuquay-Varina - a perfect length for those in need of a less-demanding outdoor experience!
Prefer a Middle Ground?
If your adventure team includes a variety of activity preferences or levels, many of the favorite spots listed above will still be the perfect match!
- Cape Fear River Adventures may be known for its white-water kayaking tours, but there are many other options available. From flat water kayaking to long inner tube floats, there is something for all skill (and motivation) levels!
- 2023 has been declared the Year of the Trail by the NC State Parks system. The challenge to residents and visitors? Visit at least one trail in each Wake County Park or Preserve throughout the year. Download a Trail Tracker today to get started! No need to pack it all in this year, though, as these beautiful trails will be available for a lifetime.
- Shearon Harris Reservoir, located in New Hill, is the perfect park to peddle the day away via the Hog Run Mountain Bike Trail. This 680-acre facility is also set up for lovers of disc golf. The course is open to all levels! Kayaks and canoes are also welcome at Shearon Harris.
Fuquay-Varina is perfectly situated among a wide variety of outdoor activities, many of which are most popular in the area’s warm weather months. Residents of the Cotton Farms neighborhood find accessibility to endless adventure a favorite amenity. The only question locals have to ask is, “Which should we try first?”