Getting Active: No Gym Required!
Jan 08, 2024
It’s no surprise that the most common New Year’s resolution is improving one’s health and that getting back to the gym tops that game plan. Joining a gym does seem logical and is typically viewed as the most convenient way to increase physical fitness but, for many, this option is not very appealing. Whether weary of lifting weights, intimidated by the treadmill, or simply uninterested in a crowded facility, avoiding the gym may be as common as that pledge to get there regularly. Residents of the Cotton Farms neighborhood are among the lucky as there are many alternative options for fitness fun! Fun? Yes! Thinking outside the box allows the discovery of enjoyable activities, which means that chances of remaining active skyrocket!
Fuquay-Varina’s Parks and Recreation division has numerous options for fitness explorers. Programs are updated regularly to meet the needs of the community, including keeping up with new trends.
- The public gym, located at 820 S Main Street, is bustling with a variety of options for those ready to dabble in new sports.
- Adult Basketball is free to Cotton Farms’ residents! These are pick-up games open to anyone 18 or older and are held on weekdays from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm, excluding Thursdays. Why not mix up your lunch break with some one-on-one?
- Pickleball continues to gain popularity nationwide! Why? It’s easy to learn, great exercise, and so much fun. Come give it a try on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday mornings from 9:00 am to 11:45 am. One of the most unique things about pickleball is the mingling of amateurs and aficionados. No experience is required!
- Will the weather cancel your daily walk? It doesn’t have to! The gym is open for adult walkers on weekdays from 8:00 am to 8:55 am.
- Tuesdays (10:00 am to 12:00 pm) and Thursdays (12:00 pm to 2:00 pm), the gym is open for family play. This is a great option for tiring out those youngsters while grabbing some time for fitness. Bring a frisbee, pack some snacks, and have some fun!
- For those who prefer a more structured agenda of activity, Fuquay-Varina’s Parks and Recreation facilities have a full menu! The 2024 Active Adult Brochure is available here and includes pages of potential. From yoga to bird watching to walk & coffee to line dancing…well, you get the idea. There is something for everyone!
- Finally, get outside!
- The Cotton Farms community has access to twenty parks managed by Fuquay-Varina. Check out the list here and find one that suits your needs. Parks are open from dawn to dusk and each includes a variety of options for activity!
- No need for swings or picnic tables? Why not take a hike? Trails and Greenways are plentiful in this area! The Year of the Trail was the theme for 2023 and many residents fell in love with regular hikes that started just around the corner. Find your future favorite here.
Just around the corner from Cotton Farms, the town of Lillington offers another option as a fitness home base. While offered programs are geared toward those under 18, volunteering as a coach is a terrific way to become involved in your surrounding community while getting active. Check out available coaching opportunities here. Sign up with your children, nieces, or nephews and show them the benefits of combining fitness with volunteerism.
Perhaps a new hobby that keeps you moving is on your 2024 goal list. There are several options convenient to Cotton Farms that are a must-try!
- Martial Arts is a great option for both mental and physical fitness. Check out Vision Martial Arts–there are classes for all ages and skill levels!
- Neighborhood Barre offers low-impact, effective workouts in a women-only environment.
- Yoga may sound intimidating but give it a try! The Breathing Space is a collective of local instructors ready to help you find your inner yogi.
- Jazzercise has been getting folks dancing for decades! Leg warmers are not required, but bring a towel and some water as you will need them!
Time tends to be the biggest factor in pausing that pledge for daily activity. Remember, a session of movement is beneficial no matter how small! The Cotton Farms community continues to grow, and, with it, the beautiful streets have become the perfect place for a light walk or a quick job. Don’t forget to wave at your new neighbors while logging those steps. Who knows? Perhaps one will become a new friend and workout buddy!